Published on May 14th, 2016 | by Janine Giorgenti0
[Do This] – When you spill coffee on your dress shirt.
By Janine Giorgenti
I received this message from a client:
Dear Janine, I just spilled coffee on my dress shirt and I have a very important meeting in a half hour. What do I do now?
We’ve all been there – that fresh morning cup of Colombian roast – to perk us up – and then the inexplicable dunce moment that results in that caffeine-packed goodness ending up creating a big messy stain on your crisp new shirt.
First step is to NOT PANIC (!!!). Seriously though, the first step in removing a stain from your shirt is to act quickly. The longer you wait, the more permanent the stain becomes.
Here are a few important tips:
· To stop the spill from spreading, use – for instance – a butter knife; to remove the excess liquid.
· Blot the excess liquid with a paper towel. Do not start rubbing or smear the stain. That will only spread the stain and make it worse.
· Do not use a colored cloth to clean a stain, or else you will exacerbate the problem by adding more color.
· Use a white cloth to remove a stain.
· Wet the cloth with cold water and begin blotting the stain, from the outer edge inward.
Use any of the following agents easily obtained from a drug or supermarket to eliminate the stain:
1. A stain remover laundry stick.
2. Rubbing alcohol.
3. Baking soda.
· Saturate the area with any of these cleaning agents, while rubbing gently with a white cloth. Rinse the area with cold water.
· Blot again with a dry paper cloth or white cloth and blow-dry the wet area (if at work use the hand dryer in the restroom.)
Hope this helps you avert disaster.